Monday, November 5, 2007

Prologue

I am just going to say this straight up – I don't know where I am going. I don't really know where I am. The only thoughts which seem to register in my mind is that my hands are on the steering wheel, my foot is on the pedal, and I am wandering down an unknown highway. But I know why I'm here.

However, before I have any more time to think, my cell phone rings. I wondered if I should answer it. The ring had a haunting aura to it. I kept my eyes on the road while the ringing continues to pierce my ears. After a minute, it eventually stopped, and a peaceful silence filled the car again. My eyes kept looking back at the phone, however. I sighed.

When I found a good stretch of gravel to pull over onto, I stopped the car and picked up my phone. There was one voicemail. My right thumb hovered over the call button, and I was filled with hesitance. But I knew there was no way to avoid it, so I listened to the message.

The voice I head was my mother's. I knew it would be her. Her small voice came through the tiny speakers of the phone:

“Sweetie...sweetie, this is your mom. I was just wondering where you were. You haven't responded to any of my letters or my calls. I'm so worried about you...your father is extremely angry at you. He doesn't even know I'm leaving this message, but I just wanted to know...why? Why did you drop out of college? You had so much going for you...full scholarships at a great university...you were set. Why do you just want to throw it all aw- I need to go, your father's near. I love you.” The message ended.

“I'm sorry, mom...” I muttered, “...I...just can't take this anymore...I don't mean to sound whiny...I just need to get away for a bit...” I looked up at the St. Christopher visor clip my mom had put in my car. I found myself silently staring at it for a few minutes.

“You're the patron saint of travelers, right?...” I said. “Then say a prayer, will ya?...I think I'm going to be traveling for a while.” I then turned the ignition key violently and sped off.

* * *


No comments: